"Working with Alicia on my common application essay was an extremely great and beneficial experience. Her guidance was extremely helpful in thinking of the right idea for the essay and in expanding on the topic to best answer the question. She was extremely kind and provided me with many suggestions and ideas that really improved the quality of the essay. In just one hour, she transformed my essay into a strong piece of writing that I feel confident in, and which truly expresses who I am for colleges to see. She also showed me how helpful and important writing outlines for essays is, which is a skill that will greatly help me when I go to college. Overall, Alicia's kindness, leadership, and expertise made the experience extremely great, and this could not have been possible without her assistance!"
2017-2018 Common Application Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story. [No change]
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? [Revised]
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking ? What was the outcome ? [Revised]
4. Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. [No change]
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others. [Revised]
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? [New]